Monday 12 December 2011

BUSINESS BEFORE PLEASURE:

So it's a countdown to the end of my intern-ship training (IT) at Programmes Unit, Radio Nigeria and I'm taking account of all the things going on so I don't forget it. Well, it's five days to go and a very interesting thing happened today. The business trend in the office reached its peak; I'll explain:

It first started about three weeks ago. The latest addition to the office 'staff' is an artist and her function on the Radio isn't exactly clear cut. The short story is; they help with production. Anyhow, for the purpose of anonymity we shall call her 'Artie' in this blog.

So Artie brought her aunt's beads and jewellery to sell and we all - like the women that we are - rushed on it like pigeons around crumbs of bread and bought our hearts out. I was even convinced to buy a necklace and matching earrings using the guise that it was for my sister's recently celebrated birthday and I had never given her a gift as an excuse to pay such a large amount of money for two pieces of jewellery and not even original ones at that (The stones on the earring came out when it fell that day).

After the jewellery spree, I brought some baby clothes to sell for my mum. Yes, I did. I fell and joined the booming, upcoming office business trend. And boy did I sell! Well, I just sold to one person but who's counting? It's baby clothes for pete's sake! It's not exactly a booming market. People don't buy baby clothes unless they have a baby to buy them for. It's an on-demand item.

Anyway, today Aunty Amy (not her real name) also brought some stuff to sell for her sister and the office came alive once more with business activity. Buying on credit, paying later and taking stock. So this has become the business. And the pleasure? Whatever their being paid for from nine to five every day.
But that's not true. They do their work, they just do something else, something additional on the side. It's not mixing business with pleasure, it's simply putting business before pleasure. Sounds fun, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment